Enhanced Brand Protection
Domains Protected Marks List programs, DPMLTM and DPML PlusTM, offer cost-effective solutions that protect your brand’s trademarks, prevent cybersquatting and ensure that your domains are available for future use. With DPML and DPML Plus, you can easily and affordably block registrations of validated trademarks without requiring defensive purchases in each of Donuts’ 241 top-level domains (TLDs).
Our DPML programs’ benefits are:
Expansive: Allows brand owners to protect more than just exact-match trademarks across Donuts TLDs with our enhanced coverage.
Easy: Protect your brand’s trademark term in as many as 241 domains in a single program. Domains blocked by DPML are not active.
Versatile: Brand owners can protect terms across all Donuts TLDs for up to 10 years.
Economical: DPML subscriptions are a fraction of the cost of typical defensive registrations.
DPML Plus is a ten-year block for an exact-match, second-level domain (SLD) across all Donuts TLDs that includes—for the first time—the ability for your client to block misspells of its mark at no additional charge.
Other unique benefits include:
- the ability to block an exact-match mark plus three additional strings that contain the mark or are misspellings of the mark
- more than three “contains” or misspelled strings can be added for an additional fee
- blocks for all premium second-level domains
- blocks are not subject to overrides by other parties with the same trademark, without the consent of the applicable DPML Plus block holder
- the ability for subscribers to submit unlimited overrides of blocked terms (for no wholesale override fee) if the mark holder elects to register and use previously blocked terms*.
- Your client may add additional terms – over and above the three included in the DPML Plus package – for an additional fee per blocked SLD.
- Donuts retains the right to review and approve all DPML Plus applications (e.g. registry may decline to block certain three-character and common dictionary terms).
DPML is a five-year block for an exact match second level domain (SLD) across standard-priced Donuts TLDs. DPML subscribers can submit unlimited overrides of blocked terms, without incurring additional wholesale override fees.
DPML Applications only may be submitted through a registrar authorized by Donuts to sell DPML blocks (“DPML Registrar”).
NOTE: before submitting a DPML application, applicants first must provide information to the trademark clearinghouse (TMCH) to obtain a signed mark data (SMD) file, as detailed in the TMCH guidelines. Once the TMCH has validated a mark, it will issue the mark holder an SMD file. Each DPML application must (i) include one or more SMD files corresponding to the applied-for label(s) and (ii) meet the qualifications specified by ICANN and detailed in the TMCH guidelines, as they may change from time to time.
Contact a Donuts accredited registrar to learn more about purchase.
Donuts will not accept a DPML application unless the applied-for block meets applicable requirements as defined in RFC 1035, RFC 1123, and RFC 2181, including the following technical and syntax requirements:
The label must consist exclusively of the letters A-Z (case insensitive), the numbers 0-9, and hyphens;
The label may not begin or end with a hyphen;
For DPML Blocks in IDNs, the label must be in the character scripts (languages) Donuts offers and supports as specified on the Donuts website;
The label may only have two consecutive hyphens (–) in the third and fourth positions, if any, when preceded by “xn” and followed by a label that corresponds with an IDN containing characters referred to in (c) above;
The label does not exceed 63 characters; and
The label must be based on a domain name label contained in an SMD file that is made up of at least three characters.
- May be published in the Whois database and provide information about the DPML Block holder;
- Will not result in a domain name that resolves on the public Internet;
- May be subject to periodic review by Donuts to verify that the applicable TMCH entry remains valid;
- Will be applied, at no additional cost, to second level domains (SLDs) that were not available at the time of a DPML Block, but that later change to available SLDs;
- Will be applied, at no additional cost, to certain TLDs that become owned and operated by Donuts;
- May cease to be applied to TLDs that no longer are owned and operated by Donuts; and
- Are subject to Overrides as set forth below.
Please note: Donuts may, but is not obliged, to revoke all or part of a DPML Block if the underlying TMCH entry for the SMD File is no longer valid.
Note that a DPML override does not apply to DPML Plus. An override of a DPML block is the registration of a DPML-blocked domain by a registrant that holds an SMD file containing the label that exactly matches the label under a DPML block. The DPML block holder may override and register domains under their own block, and other third party mark holders may override legacy DPML blocks. There are no wholesale fees applied to overrides.
Payment can be made only via a Donuts accredited registrar. Donuts is not responsible for any failure on the part of DPML registrars in this respect, including where such failure results in the failure to block, non-renewal or termination of the applicable DPML block concerned.
Domain names reserved by Donuts are not affected by DPML. Donuts may reserve domain names, including those subject to DPML Block, including, without limitation, that are:
- Reserved for operations and other purposes, including without limitation certain premium names, which Donuts may change from time to time;
- Reserved or restricted to comply with applicable ICANN requirements or Donuts policies, including those reserved for certain third parties;
- Still pending, in process, or otherwise not available, such as domain names that are still pending processing of Sunrise registration; or
- Already under registration or subject to an active DPML block, unless an exception applies (e.g., override).
DPML Applicants or DPML Block holders found to have engaged in abusive registrations or practices may, in Donuts’ sole discretion, be disqualified from maintaining any current or future Registrations or DPML Blocks in any Registry or by Donuts.
Disputes regarding DPML are governed by the dispute resolution procedures set forth in the Sunrise and DPML dispute resolution policy (“SDRP”) located on the Donuts Website.
This DPML Overview is a generalized summary of the terms and conditions of this service and does not form a binding contract between Donuts and the reader.